Sunday, February 28, 2016

Why I Became A Fan of the Clemson Tigers...

So I recently became a fan of the Clemson Tigers...on social media! I will always be a Georgia Bulldog, but I came across an article recently about how Clemson New and Creative Media team is #winning and decided to check it out for myself.

I help manage social media accounts for my job so I find myself paying attention to college athletics social media pages from time to time. With their recent chance at winning the CFB National Championship title, there has been a reason for non-Clemson fans to pay attention to their social media accounts. From videos of  Coach Swinny Dabbing going viral to a Match.com dating profile with hopes of meeting up with ESPN's College Game Day, their social media team shows us how to do social media the right way. Aside from the content created around the CFB National Championship I think that their overall presence on social media is better than most college athletic accounts.



I checked out their Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Vine accounts. What stood out to me the most was their videos. They share the videos across all platforms and most, if not all of them are made from Vine. Their Vine account has over 11 million loops which is incredible for a college athletics page. Vine is not a platform that most schools use And use effectively, but Clemson has mastered it. They create these short videos for every sport from preseason workouts to game day which not only hypes up fans during the season, but keeps them interested in the off season. It's a creative, quick and easy way to engage fans other than using graphics and photos if executed the right way. Fans retweet, like, and share a lot of their content which is instant feedback telling them they're doing the right things. It's obvious they are current and know how to appeal to their audience with images like this:




Georgia's social media accounts and New Media department, Hunker Down Productions, have been exceptional as well. The videos that they create are amazing and if they ever decided to make a full length movie I would watch it in theaters. I think our video production is similar, but we await the football hype videos over everything else. I think Clemson takes followers behind the scenes of their college athletes and delivers it in a six second package that leaves you wanting more. It is even a great way for recruits and prospective students to spark interest in the university. The same could be said for Georgia too, but Clemson gave us a run for our money with this one:




Clemson's new media team and their creative work is something that I will be keeping an eye on as far as social media goes. Football is another story, so nice job in social media land, but there still ain't nothin' finer in the land...

No comments:

Post a Comment